Monday 14 May 2012

Noughties by Ben Masters



This book is about Eliot Lamb who is out with his Uni mates as they celebrate their last night at Oxford University. They go to a pub, a bar and then a club. In between Eliot reminisces about his three-years there, which means he reminisces mainly about girl trouble. 

If I were to mark it as if it were a thesis I would mark it thus:

Good points:
There is some good stuff in this book. I like the author’s way of describing things. Straight from the off there are good descriptions, e.g. “Scott with his question-mark nose, Jack with his inverted-comma eyebrows, Sanjay with his square-bracket ears…” 
I like the humour in the repartee between characters.

Bad points:
There is a lot of swearing and smut in the book, a bit too much for my liking.
It gets a bit confusing in places. Are the ideas conveyed too clever for me?
The bits with literary references went over my head in a lot of places.
Ella’s ending is unfinished.

Overall:
Frustrating – with more work this could have been better as there are snippets of story here that work well and which had me wanting to read on, but then as a whole it wasn’t as coherent. 

(I got this book through Amazon Vine. It is listed here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment