Sunday 18 March 2012

Secrets of the Magic Ring by Karen McQuestion



Whenever I see a book with a magic ring in it I immediately think of Lord of the Rings. Well this is not Lord of the Rings; it's a lot shorter for a start. In fact there aren't many similarities (this is a tale set in the real world whilst LOTR isn't for example) but the ring does seem to have a pull that makes people want to wear it which has LOTR written all over it.

The story follows only-child Paul who finds a magic ring which allows the wearer one wish and one wish only. Trouble is if the wish is a selfish one then things will go wrong. And things do go wrong.

I think the tale is for younger readers rather than older readers because the language is quite simplistic. It also should appeal to girls as well as boys with fairies making an appearance.

Overall, for me, the pace started slow but picked up and when it did the book was very exciting and drew me in. It is a bit short though, although for the young readers it is designed for this is probably a good thing.

(I got this book through Amazon Vine. It is listed on Amazon here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment