Thursday 29 March 2012

Briefs Encountered by Julian Clary



This book was written by comedian Julian Clary, but if you're thinking it's a laugh-all-the-way-through type of novel then you'd be sadly mistaken. This is a serious novel about a house with a history (hence ghosts).

For me it was a novel of two halves: the first being a plodding affair mainly concerning relationships, mainly man-on-man, but the second, following a death or two, got interesting with an element of foreboding to it all.

Throughout the story is told in two different eras, the 1920s-1950s covering Noel Coward's tenure at the property, and the modern day telling the story of actor Richard Stent's stay there having bought the house from one Julian Clary (a character in his own book - he has one big ego doesn't he). Then at the end the two eras collide in a satisfying climax (having read a few double entendres in the book it seems to be rubbing off on me; I'd better stop now before I get ahead of myself).

End of review. 

(I got this book through Amazon Vine. It is listed on Amazon here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment